StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Options<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #125378
- Remove message
10/2/2015 10:39:29 PM

http://www.futuresmag.com/2010/05/12/top-4-options-strategies-beginners?page=3


of interest?

Mactheriverrat
3,178 posts
msg #125381
- Remove message
10/3/2015 2:31:55 AM

@Karenna
IMHO- Look at the AMBA median bollinger band(20,2) line which is down trend. Which is really the 20 day MA . Until it breaks that downtrend its still down. Such as the 20 day EMA.

Just saying. We learn from our past.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #125383
- Remove message
10/3/2015 6:14:23 AM

Mahkoh,
That was the long answer. The short answer is -- "premiums are favorable".
:>)

Premiums are favorable, that must mean they are favorable in relation to other premiums or towards a metric. Do you filter for this in some way?


I use return on margin as a measure when evaluating possible entries. As I sell cash secured at the money puts this leads me to securities that are not too far from the option strike and are reasonably volatile. I'll consider those where ROM is over 7 - 10 % (depending on where we are in the option cycle, the closer to expiration the lower the premiums) and below 20 %. If ROM is over 20 % something is up, premiums never get elevated without a reason. The options I sell are 4 to 6 weeks out and I do not trade earnings.

Once in the trade I calculate time value to margin, when this moves below 2 % I'll usually look to close out if the trade goes against me. At this point my option is so far out of the money that I'm essentially holding the stock and that wasn't my intention when I opened the position. When the option has lost 40 % of it's value I'll take profits, once I'm 15 days in the trade I'll happily close at break even.





karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125396
- Remove message
10/4/2015 12:40:28 PM

Re:
Mactheriverrat
534 posts
msg #125381
- Ignore Mactheriverrat 10/3/2015 2:31:55 AM
@Karenna
IMHO- Look at the AMBA median bollinger band(20,2) line which is down trend. Which is really the 20 day MA . Until it breaks that downtrend its still down. Such as the 20 day EMA.
Just saying. We learn from our past.
=================================

@ Mac,
You're absolutely correct.
Once AMBA crossed the 20 EMA on 08-11-15, it never ... *never* turned back. Initially, I thought it was a "set-up" for a huge rally.
When I finally became skeptical, I even posted on 08-31-15, that I had my doubts & subsequently cut my position in 1/2 prior to earnings. Thank g*d, I had the sense to at least do that!
Sad, sad, sad.
It'll take me a long time to make up that loss.
:>(









karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125397
- Remove message
10/4/2015 12:59:33 PM

Crossing the river of death, below EMA(20). DEATH Spiral of AMBA. Also, a double-top.




karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125404
- Remove message
10/5/2015 10:34:25 AM

karennma
5,530 posts
msg #125366 10/2/2015 1:57:32 PM
BAC (current price $15.14)
STO (40) 10-09-15 $14.00 Puts @ .04 (+$160)
BTO (5) 10-09-15 $15.oo Call @ 0.36 (-$180)
================

Sell (5) 10-09-15 $15 Calls @ 0.72 = $360 (doubled my money, gain $180)

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125405
- Remove message
10/5/2015 10:40:51 AM

10/5/2015 10:34:25 AM
karennma
5,530 posts
msg #125366 10/2/2015 1:57:32 PM
BAC (current price $15.14)
STO (40) 10-09-15 $14.00 Puts @ .04 (+$160)
BTO (5) 10-09-15 $15.oo Call @ 0.36 (-$180)
================

Sell (5) 10-09-15 $15 Calls @ 0.72 = $360 (doubled my money, gain $180)


This "ask" on the $14 puts is only 0.01, so, the $160 is still in my pocket.
Net gain $180 + $160 = $340.

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125407
- Remove message
10/5/2015 11:01:21 AM

karennma
5,532 posts
msg #125370 10/2/2015 2:44:33 PM

BAC (current price $15.14)
STO (40) 10-09-15 $14.00 Puts @ .04 (+$160)
BTO (3) 10-16-15 $15.00 Calls @ .55 (-165)
=====================================

Ha!
I forgot! I changed the BTO order on Friday to 10-16-15 which is now 0.68 (worth $204).
I'd still have a gain, but only $39. After commissions, not much. Net gain drops to $199
LESSON LEARNED! Stick with the short term, current week!



karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125408
- Remove message
10/5/2015 11:24:00 AM

Ditto!
You're gonna get screwed on the 2 week options.
Better to trade current week.
Ask $176 on DOW 10-16-15s
Ask $200 on DOW 10-09-15s

karennma
5,533 posts
msg #125367 10/2/2015 2:33:15 PM

DOW - current price $44.10
STO (20) 10-09-15 DOW 40 Puts @ .08 = +160
BTO (1) 10-16-15 DOW 44.00 Call @ 1.34 = -134


karennma
8,057 posts
msg #125409
- Remove message
10/5/2015 11:25:51 AM

Ha!
DOW must've moved up while I was typing ...
Now 10-16-15s are $213!!
Kewl!


StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · Options<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.


Copyright 2026 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.•Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus


This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.